Friday, September 4, 2009

Live From Perry, Georgia


I live in Perry, Georgia, a small town in the middle of the state. I have lived here since my second child was born and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. I like the people here and the way of life. I love my church where my son is the preacher and I like seeing friends and neighbors when I go to the grocery store. I am just a small town guy and always will be.


Over the years people have told me that if I wanted a career in entertainment I would have to move to a bigger place such as Atlanta. They have said my dreams of being a famous writer couldn’t happen as long as I stayed in Perry. Ah, but they didn’t count on the power of the Internet.


As soon as I had my first book published it was put up on Amazon.com for sale. That made me an international author so to speak because anyone with access to a computer could log on to the Amazon site and buy my book. I don’t know how many books I have sold around the world but I have gotten e-mails from people around the globe saying they read my book(s).


The same thing happened after I put up my website www.jackiekcooper.com. Now anyone with internet access could read my reviews of movies, books, etc. It was as easy as A-B-C and I didn’t have to leave Perry to do any of it. I just sat at my keyboard in my home and typed away.


A few years ago I became a critic for rottentomatoes.com. This is a website that specializes in movie reviews. I generally post two or three a week and all can be seen on that site. I usually get some comments good and bad and some e-mails good and bad.


The big surprise came last week when my agent for speaking engagements forwarded me an e-mail supposedly from “The Huffington Post.” Even in Perry people are aware of political commentator Arianna Huffington, and to a large extent are aware of her blog www.huffingtonpost.com.


The e-mail asked him to query me as to whether or not I would like to become a reviewer for the Huffington post blog. It gave me a number to call to talk about this offer. As I read the e-mail I decided it was a joke. I told my agent he could call them but I wasn’t, and he agreed he would. A few minutes later he called back and told me it was legitimate.


So I called the number and talked to a guy who said that yes they would like to have me post my reviews on their website/blog. He said for me to send him a picture and a bio and he in turn would send me the password and rules for blogging there. I did and he did.


My reviews have started appearing on the site and I write and submit them all from Perry, Georgia. I don’t have to go to LA, New York or Atlanta; I can do it all from the comfort of my home. I can still live here and work here.


Now have I been extraordinarily lucky? Yes! My dreams have been met and exceeded. What is even greater is that I don’t know what tomorrow holds. It could be something beyond my wildest dreams. The fact is anything and everything could happen. Keep that in mind!


Jackie K Cooper is enjoying the good life in Perry, Georgia where he continues his writing career.


JKC

3 comments:

Shellie Tomlinson said...

It helps that you happen to be very good at what you do. ;) I do love to see the good guys score!

Hugs,
Shellie

james said...

Hi! Your blog is simply super. you have create a differentiate. Thanks for the sharing this website. it is very useful professional knowledge. Great idea you know about company background. Increasing your web traffic and page views Add, add your website in www.directory.itsolusenz.com/

james said...
This comment has been removed by the author.