Friday, January 7, 2011

Small Town Farewells

-- Michael Morris --

Recently I traveled back home for the funeral of a close family friend. While the death was a shock, the way in which the community rallied around the family was not. As the south has changed and made way for residents beyond the Mason-Dixon Line, the one thing that has remained constant is how small towns unite around those who are grieving.



Within an hour of our friend’s passing, the citizens had sprung into action. Soon platters of fried chicken, bowls of casseroles and pans of pecan pie covered every square inch of the kitchen counter. Whatever the food item, every dish had one thing in common -- the adornment of masking tape with the owner’s name written in ink to ensure its proper return.



Watching the endless flow of townspeople enter the home to hug and cry with the family members, I suddenly felt great pride to be from this place. It’s in grief that the town shines the brightest. Silly disagreements or inconvenient slights are immediately tossed aside in favor of unconditional love and comfort.



During the visitation service the next day, those from various classes and races mingled in the funeral home to pay their respects. Of course every elected official in town made a stop too. If there is one thing that will cause a preacher or a local politician to lose his job, it’s the unpardonable sin of not appropriately acknowledging death.



Being away from my hometown for so long, I felt like an observer instead of a participant. I passed the time by looking through a scrapbook that the funeral home had placed on a coffee table in the lobby. The book contained thank you notes from family members who had hired the funeral home to assist in saying good-bye to loved ones. I was shocked to learn that some people I had known since childhood had passed away without my mama even calling to let me know. I was so wrapped up in reading the notes that I almost didn’t see one prominent elected official walk past.



She made her way to the elderly funeral home employee who was holding court in a winged back chair, thanking each visitor for stopping by. “Joe,” she said while using a remembrance card to fan herself. “Who else do ya’ll have down here that I need to know about?” Without getting up from the chair, the man pointed to a board that looked similar to ones I’ve seen at churches to record attendance. “What about Elmer Simpson’s sister? You seen her yet?” the man asked. The woman shook her head and said, “Lord, no. Well, let me go.” And with that, she was off to comfort the next family and to certify her attendance by signing the guest register.



Friends of mine who live in different parts of the country are sometimes horrified when I tell them that in the world that I grew up in, making comments about the appearance of the dead is not only appropriate but also expected. My first real experience with this was twenty-five years ago when I accompanied my grandfather to a visitation service for a man whose family had once employed me.


My grandfather and I wove our way through the throng of mourners. When we reached the family, he leaned down so close to the open casket that I was scared he had lost his mind and was about to jump in. Then with all the enthusiasm he could muster he shouted, “Ohhh…don’t he look good. I tell you the truth, I hope they make me look this good when it comes my time.” Feeling my face grow red and wanting to melt into the floor, I nervously glanced at the man’s widow and daughter. I was certain that we would be thrown out and put on some sort of eternal list that would bar us from ever stepping foot inside the funeral home.


But to my amazement, the widow and daughter offered broad smiles. The widow continuously thanked my grandfather and even gave an approving nod to the funeral director. It was then that I began to realize the complexities of ritual and the importance of having a good mortician. While I still can’t fully explain why we southerners continue to relish the pageantry of a funeral, I do understand that in an ever-changing world, the funeral speaks to our basic need to be part of a community and to cling to custom.



Driving home after the visitation service for my friend, I noticed several people I’d seen at the funeral home now walking along Main Street, eating ice cream and admiring storefront windows. Another group made their way into a cafĂ© for supper. Death might be just another facet of life but in small towns across the south, death is turned into a full-blown social event. A southern death has its own set of rules to follow with penalties for those who don’t comply. If you still don't believe me, then I have a list of defrocked ministers and former politicians you might want to call.



Michael Morris is the author of two novels, A Place Called Wiregrass, and Slow Way Home, as well as a novella, Live Like You Were Dying. A finalist for the Southern Book Critics Circle Award, he now lives in Birmingham, Alabama. http://www.michaelmorrisbooks.com/





11 comments:

Kerry Madden said...

I loved this...made me laugh and cry...so sorry about the loss of your friend...beautiful writing, Michael.

Faith, Folklore, and Friends said...

I've been to many of these. I've also cooked lots of fried chicken! Love being a Southern girl.

Anonymous said...

What a great post, Michael. I couldn't agree more. A small town Southern funeral is definitely a community event. Everyone pulls over for the funeral processional as it passes. Sorry for your loss. Nice writing.

Susan Cushman said...

Poignant, Michael. I grew up in Mississippi, so I definitely get it. And if folks think the food doesn't matter, they haven't read Being Dead Is No Excuse by Gayden Metcalf and Charlotte Hays.

Janice Ricketson said...

Mike, You have a wonderful God given talent in your writing!! You say what we all want to at one time or the other and can't seem to find the words!! Please don't ever stop...looking forward to the next great book... Thanks for all you do !!

Shelby said...

yep. No truer words really.

Peggy Webb said...

You nailed it, Michael. One of the biggest social events in the South is a funeral.

Michelle M. said...

Thanks for writing this, it made me tear up. It is so true, you haven't done a funeral until you've done a small country Southern funeral. I'm glad we still do and hope this is a tradition that lasts at least until I die!

Jackie K Cooper said...

Michael -

There is a southern way of death and dying.

Kathy L. Patrick said...

Michael,
Loved you blog and know exactly what you mean. I always hated funerals until I moved to the south and they became celebrations of life.
Then I got the call, would I do my friend Pulpwood Queen's hair and nails for her funeral? Changed everything I ever knew about death and dying, that experience. All in my book and the one story that sold my book to my publisher.
You have a real gift for writing and to my dying day, I will be shouting your name and books from the PQ mountaintop! Great story!

www.avila-3d.com said...

The chap is absolutely just, and there is no question.