Monday, May 12, 2008

Guest Blogger: Terri DuLong


THEE Call . . .

Yes, everyone.......after ten years of writing, rejection letters, disappointments, ups and downs.......I am beyond thrilled to let you readers know........I was offered a two book contract with Kensington Books in New York City yesterday afternoon! I got THEE call......from my new editor!

I'm so excited I don't think I've touched ground since I spoke to her. Kensington had shown an interest in my manuscript in December and had requested a full, which I promptly sent off to them.

Well, last Wednesday evening I received an email from my editor, Audrey LeFehr, telling me she was very interested in my manuscript and she asked what I had in mind for a second book. I emailed her back and told her I'd begun working on a second novel for a series. The next contact was an email yesterday afternoon, with the subject title, "Good News!" and she told me she wanted to offer me a book contract and would it be convenient to call that afternoon.

When she called she explained that her Editorial Assistant had read it first and rated it very high. She then said she read it and felt the same. She loved my story! She went on to say it does not need any revisions, but made a few suggestions on a couple of minor points. Audrey then said, "These are not revisions. I only want you to change a few lines here and there in relation to what we discussed."

She then explained the highlights and pertinent information of the two book contract she was offering. It's a sweet contract and a very nice deal and I'm very pleased. Needless to say, I accepted. She said Seeking Sydney will be released spring of '09. She also mentioned perhaps we might change the title and again, what we discussed was fine with me.

I was told the contract will be arriving in about four weeks. In the meantime, I'll make those minor changes she suggested and then......back to work on the second book. She also told me to be thinking of covers and to let them know of any that I like and what I might have in mind. She said they have an excellent art department and when I browsed their site, I have to agree. They have some lovely covers.

I can't tell you how many times I fantasized about getting THEE call......when it would happen, IF it would ever happen, the circumstances, how a book contract might be offered.......and I have to say, the reality of it surpasses all my imagining.

Writing has been my passion since I was a child, but I only got serious about it ten years ago. I've attended numerous writers conferences over the years, tried to keep improving my craft of writing, did networking, made contacts and finally......I feel all of it is coming to fruition.

My dad will be gone five years on April 10, but I have to say, I'm feeling him mighty close to me right now. He was the one that taught me as a young child that if I wanted it bad enough, I would attain it. You were right, Dad! Dreams really do come true and I'm proof of that!

Now I'm off to try and get these feet back on the ground. And I'll see you here next time............
Terri DuLong lives on an island off the west coast of Florida with her husband, two dogs, three cats, numerous pond fish and unlimited birds to her feeders. All of it adds to her inspiration for writing. Visit her at http://www.islandwriter.net

1 comment:

Beth Fehlbaum, Author said...

Congratulations! I know you are thrilled, as you deserve to be.

Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
Chapter 1 is online!