Friday, September 4, 2009

Live From Perry, Georgia


I live in Perry, Georgia, a small town in the middle of the state. I have lived here since my second child was born and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. I like the people here and the way of life. I love my church where my son is the preacher and I like seeing friends and neighbors when I go to the grocery store. I am just a small town guy and always will be.


Over the years people have told me that if I wanted a career in entertainment I would have to move to a bigger place such as Atlanta. They have said my dreams of being a famous writer couldn’t happen as long as I stayed in Perry. Ah, but they didn’t count on the power of the Internet.


As soon as I had my first book published it was put up on Amazon.com for sale. That made me an international author so to speak because anyone with access to a computer could log on to the Amazon site and buy my book. I don’t know how many books I have sold around the world but I have gotten e-mails from people around the globe saying they read my book(s).


The same thing happened after I put up my website www.jackiekcooper.com. Now anyone with internet access could read my reviews of movies, books, etc. It was as easy as A-B-C and I didn’t have to leave Perry to do any of it. I just sat at my keyboard in my home and typed away.


A few years ago I became a critic for rottentomatoes.com. This is a website that specializes in movie reviews. I generally post two or three a week and all can be seen on that site. I usually get some comments good and bad and some e-mails good and bad.


The big surprise came last week when my agent for speaking engagements forwarded me an e-mail supposedly from “The Huffington Post.” Even in Perry people are aware of political commentator Arianna Huffington, and to a large extent are aware of her blog www.huffingtonpost.com.


The e-mail asked him to query me as to whether or not I would like to become a reviewer for the Huffington post blog. It gave me a number to call to talk about this offer. As I read the e-mail I decided it was a joke. I told my agent he could call them but I wasn’t, and he agreed he would. A few minutes later he called back and told me it was legitimate.


So I called the number and talked to a guy who said that yes they would like to have me post my reviews on their website/blog. He said for me to send him a picture and a bio and he in turn would send me the password and rules for blogging there. I did and he did.


My reviews have started appearing on the site and I write and submit them all from Perry, Georgia. I don’t have to go to LA, New York or Atlanta; I can do it all from the comfort of my home. I can still live here and work here.


Now have I been extraordinarily lucky? Yes! My dreams have been met and exceeded. What is even greater is that I don’t know what tomorrow holds. It could be something beyond my wildest dreams. The fact is anything and everything could happen. Keep that in mind!


Jackie K Cooper is enjoying the good life in Perry, Georgia where he continues his writing career.


JKC

2 comments:

Shellie Tomlinson said...

It helps that you happen to be very good at what you do. ;) I do love to see the good guys score!

Hugs,
Shellie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.