Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Guest Blogger: Rachel Hauck


Thanks to Karin and the Southern Authors Blog for giving me a snip of cyber time. Truly, a Good Blog Is Hard To Find.

Maybe you’re wondering “who the flip are you, Rachel?” Good question. I’ve been asking myself the same for years. But, for the time being, I’ll say I’m a writer, wife, a Florida southerner.

I write southern based women’s stories with a chick-romance feel. My latest novel, Sweet Caroline, is about a twenty-something lowcountry woman who unexpectedly inherits a run down, money-pit café from an old man. At the same time, a friend emails Caroline about an unusual opportunity in Spain. Ever have one of those years when life comes flying at you? Yeah? Caroline, too. Not only does she have to decide between a Beaufort café and a Barcelona adventure, but two very hunky men, a deputy Sheriff and a country music star, are vying for her attention. One of them is her first and true love.

Caroline goes through an interesting transition over the summer and comes to an unusual conclusion.

Romantic Times Book Club wrote: 4.5 Stars – “Hauck adorable novel contains the multi-layered character readers have come to expect from her books. The enjoyable story and unpredictable ending entertains and offers much to think about.”

Otherwise… I’m a southernankee. Born in Ohio, I’ve lived most of my life in southern/southwestern states¾Oklahoma, Kentucky, Florida.
My family lived in Tallahassee when I decided to follow in my father’s footsteps and attend Ohio State University. (Please, no football comments. My heart can’t take it.)

Until I left for school, my good friends were Wakulla County good ole boys and girls. My speech had an airy accent and I said things like, “Hey, y’all,” and “Sugar.”

About a year after first arriving on campus, my friends finally confessed, “When we met you, we thought you were a total airhead.” All because of a southern lilt? The nerve!

Not to worry, we all got over it. After college, I moved to central Florida to work for “the man,” taking a job where I traveled all over the country and abroad.

It’s during those years I really came to love and appreciate the south. One trip, I boarded a plan home from D.C. The day was cold, dreary, the kind where the grey clouds hang so dense and low it seems the sun could never break through.

When we landed in Melbourne, I lifted my face to the sun and breathed in the sea-n-sand fragrance, the warm breeze a balm to my soul. There’s no place like home.

If I’ve learned anything in my brief time on earth, it’s to appreciate life’s little things while reaching for the stars. You should do the same. And whatever you do, grow wherever you are planted.

Visit Rachel at her web site: http://www.rachelhauck.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your new book, Rachel!!!
Nicole Seitz