Friday, December 31, 2010

Very Superstitious--by Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams

I'll admit to being a little superstitious.  It's probably due to my Southern upbringing.

I tell myself that I see no reason not to follow the odd little rules.  Why not just walk around the ladder?  Why even have an umbrella open inside?  And is there any harm in throwing spilled salt over my shoulder?

I've included superstitions in my books, too.  It's fascinating to me that such a religious area is also a superstitious one.  And an area that believes in the supernatural, too.  Driving out into the rural South, it wouldn't be strange to see a "Madame Zora, Psychic" sign (with the obligatory palm on it) within spitting distance of the Land of Goshen church.

The old wives' tales are also pretty popular.  Whenever I've been pregnant (Alabama or North Carolina), I've heard some really amazing theories about figuring out the gender of my baby...and lots of advice to keep my cats away from the baby (they'd suck the breath right out of that baby, they said.)

There's definitely an interesting mix of religion, superstition, and the supernatural.  And it's affected me, too.

I had a decorator help me hang pictures and she was trying to persuade me to take down some of the ancestors that hung on my walls (no, she wasn't Southern).

I was appalled.  "I'd be haunted," I said.

She laughed, but I didn't.  I don't want to believe in ghosts.  And I wouldn't--except that I've been visited by one before.

New Year's brings a host of superstitions.  We'll eat black-eyed peas and greens for prosperity and luck.  I've already taken my Christmas tree down because I wouldn't dream of having it up on New Year's day.  Might as well follow the rules, right?  Just in case?  Why make waves?

Are you superstitious?  Have any special rituals you need to follow for New Year's?

Happy 2011!

Elizabeth S. Craig/Riley Adams
Mystery Writing is Murder

7 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

I'm with you. Why make waves and I guess it is a Southern thing. Today we'll have black-eyed peas, greens and cornbread too. I hope the odd little rules never get forgotten. Happy New Years.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Carol ReMarks said...

Nice. I'm adding Delicious and Suspicious to my reading list! Sounds like my kind of read.

Elizabeth Craig/Riley Adams said...

Mason--Enjoy your cornbread! I knew I was forgetting something...a little cornbread makes the luck stick, doesn't it? :)

C.A.--Thanks so much! Hope you'll enjoy it. :)

Peggy Webb said...

I'm slavish about black-eyed peas, greens and cornbread on New Year's Day. Keeping traditions alive is a vital part of culture.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Peggy--I think so, too. Besides, I love the funny looks the kids give me. :)

Michelle M. said...

had my black eyed peas, turnip greens, hog jowl (pronounced hawg jaw and fried of course) and cornbread. Best meal of the year.

App Development Las Vegas said...

Awesome post! This is helpful post. This article is clear and with lots of useful information. Thanks for the run down!